Events on February 7 and 15 include internationally-known Mideast academic scholar, KC speakers, and Palestinian folklore
Feb. 7 event at Doubletree Hotel in Overland Park features Osama Abu Ishraid, KC area students on Gaza relief convoy, plus Arab singing and dance
American Muslims for Palestine--Kansas City invites you to “One Year Later: Besieged Gaza – Still Standing Tall,” a Palestinian folklore night.
- Osama Abu Irshaid, is completing a Ph.D. at Britain’s Loughborough University, and is the founder and editor in chief of Al-Meezan newspaper, published in Arabic in the United States. He is an internationally-known academic scholar on Mideast affairs.
- Sara Jawhari and Mohamad El-Housiny are two Kansas City area students and participants in the successful Viva Palestina medical aid convoy to Gaza.
- Nasheed singing by Munzer Talib and Ismael Alqadi
- Dabke dancing by Sanabel AlQuds
When: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 6:30 p.m.
Location: Doubletree Hotel, 10100 College Blvd., Overland Park, Kansas
- $10 donation
Event flyer - http://cjme.org/images/flyer-gaza-event-kansas.pdf
Feb. 15 event at UMKC provides update on KC area students experience providing medical relief to Palestinians
The Muslim Student Association at UMKC invites you to "Viva Palestina: Report back from Gaza." Local Kansas City students will report back on a life-changing journey through Europe and into Palestine, delivering humanitarian aid and medical supplies into war-torn Gaza.
This aid convoy took place in December 2009 and was led by George Galloway, a member of British Parliament known for his anti-war views. Mohamed El-Housiny and Sara Jawhari will each speak of their first hand-experiences in the impoverished Gaza Strip, and the political resistance they faced along the way. Guests from 7thGIV, an independent group of students from Haskell Indian Nations University, will speak about their cultural exchange with youth in the West Bank last year. Panelists will also answer questions regarding their travels.
- Please join us for this informative and interactive session to raise awareness about the plight of Gaza.
- Pizza and refreshments will be served. Admission is free and open to all.
- Location: UMKC Royall Hall 111, 5200 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, Missouri
- When: Monday, February 15, 2010, 7:30 p.m.
- For more info, contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Event flyer - http://cjme.org/images/flyer-viva-palestina-umkc.pdf